Michael Rank plays three tracks from Red Hand and talks about listening to early folk rock through his sister’s bedroom door & how he produces his albums.
This week I’ve got new rock & roll from music from Reckless Kelly, blues from Lil’ Ed and the Blues Imperials, americana from 3hattrio, plus more music from The Walcotts, Reagan Boggs, and Seth Walker.
|Associate Producer||Eric Dearing|
|Gregory P Einhorn|
|William Gordon Wright|
Pledge your support to the Americana Music Show on Patreon, and you'll earn producer credits on every episode produced while your pledge is active.
- Radio / Reckless Kelly / Sunset Motel / 04:57
- Age Don't Mean a Thing / Robert Finley / Age Don't Mean a Thing / 04:30
- Bad Kisser / Chris Stalcup & The Grange / Downhearted Fools / 05:21
- I'm Done / Lil' Ed & The Blues Imperials / The Big Sound of Lil' Ed & The Blues Imperials / 02:55
- Texas Time Traveler / 3hattrio / Solitaire / 03:37
- Had To Let Her Go / Scott McMahan / Scott McMahan / 04:06
- *** interview with Michael Rank and tracks from Red Hand ***
- Should've Been Me / The Walcotts / Let The Devil Win / 03:38
- Miss Your Water / Brad Absher & Swamp Royale / Lucky Dog / 05:33
- Red Skies / Joe K. Walsh / Borderland / 03:04
- My Dirty Life And Times / John McEuen / Made In Brooklyn / 03:45
- The Pain Of Loving You / Dolly Parton, Linda Ronstadt & Emmylou Harris / My Dear Companion Selection / 02:35
- On My Knees / Owen Campbell / Breathing Bullets / 03:40
- Some of Your Love / Whiskey Myers / Mud / 03:23
- Little Miss Tumbleweed / The Flyin' A's / You Drive Me Crazy / 03:06
- There'll Be A Jubilee / The Devil Makes Three / Redemption & Ruin / 02:55
- Wondrous Love, Lay Aside Your Crown / Red Tail Ring / Fall Away Blues / 04:49
- On A Bad Note / Reagan Boggs / Quicksand / 03:19
- Gotta Get Back / Seth Walker / Gotta Get Back / 04:32
- There Goes My Heart / Jo Serrapere & The Lafawndas / Dollar Store Nation / 04:13
- Meteorites / Magic Car / Meteorites / 03:24
- Sweet to Mama / Jim Kweskin & Geoff Muldaur / Penny's Farm / 03:14
About Michael Rank
You probably know this already, but I audition a lot of albums. I mean A LOT OF ALBUMS. After a while, lots of them start sounding the same. Yet Another Genre Bending String Band is one common category. another common category is the Whiny Sensitive Folk Rock Songwriter. People always talk about "finding your own voice" in creative pursuits, but it's actually very very rare.
Which leads me to Michael Rank. When you listen to his latest album, Red Hand. you immediately think. oh yeah, folk rock singer. As you put the headphones on sit back and really immerse yourself in the songs, you realize that Michale Rank's Red Hand is a stunningly original sound. Michael Rank's plainspoken lyrics on Red Hand are delivered without flash or gimmicks, just an authenticity and sincerity that's almost confessional. All the usual instruments you'd expect from a 70's era soft rock sound are there, but there's a twang woven into the sound that gives it a heartland vibe. Michael Rank has obviously been listening to the music that is there deep in his head and soul and has been working very hard to capture it on Red Hand.
The Americana Music Show is podsafe and copyright 2016 by Taproot Media. The music used on the show was submitted for promotional purposes and is used with permission. This show is free for personal, noncommercial use only. All other rights are reserved. See the notices page for more info.