April 15, 2013
On episode 135 of the Americana Music Show, Ryan Bailey of The Riverbreaks talks Rick Cornell about his time in Chapel Hill, rebelling against country music, and writing songs in the jungle.
Willie Nelson has a new one out called Let's Face The Music And Dance because he covers the Irving Berlin tune by the same name on the opening track. Lots of great Jazz Standards-ish songs on this one. I'm adding the title track, the cover of Carl Perkins' "Matchbox," and the cover of Dorothy Fields' I Can't Give You Anything But Love." People forget how versatile Willie Nelson is and he's still got it even at 80 years old. http://goo.gl/akejp
It's always a happy day when a new Deadstring Brothers album shows up. They've got a new one out called Cannery Row that extends their southern rock sound to a big coast-to-coast sound and I know you're gonna want it for your next road trip. I'm adding "Long Lonely Ride," "It's Morning, Irene," and "Lucille's Honky Tonk" to rotation.
Shannon McNally has just released a tribute to Bobby Charles called, Small Town Talkwith special guest, Dr. John. As you might expect these covers are done up in a fine funky New Orlean's style, which suits Bobby Charles' songs just fine. But at the same time, McNally holds back just a little on the wild an craziness so that the songwriting doesn't get lost in all the street dancing.
Rod Picott is bringing his Circus of Misery and Heartbreak tour back to Durham on May 25th for an exclusive one-night house concert and the organizers have graciously given me a pair of tickets to give away for the event. I'll be giving away one pair of tickets to a lucky winner on May 12th. So visit the giveaway page to enter to win.
Find your way back home, Calvin
- Street People / Shannon McNally / Small Town Talk / 3:15
- Can't Pin A Color / Shannon McNally / Small Town Talk / 3:17
- Cowboys And Indians / Shannon McNally / Small Town Talk / 4:07
- But I Do / Shannon McNally / Small Town Talk / 4:08
- It's Morning Irene / Deadstring Brothers / Cannery Row / 4:09
- Long Lonely Ride / Deadstring Brothers / Cannery Row / 3:34
- Lucille's Honky Tonk / Deadstring Brothers / Cannery Row / 3:30
- Let's Face The Music And Dance / Willie Nelson & Family / Let's Face The Music And Dance / 3:24
- Matchbox / Willie Nelson & Family / Let's Face The Music And Dance / 2:40
- I Can't Give You Anything But Love / Willie Nelson & Family / Let's Face The Music And Dance / 3:46