Magnolia Collective plays tracks from An Old Darkness Falls live at WHUP, and talk about their “bootgazer” sound, their entry in Couch By Couchwest, and how to write songs as a collective.
Also on this episode I have a rare track from the YepRoc Sam Phillips tribute album, plus new country from Cody Jinks, new retro rock from Webb Wilder, blues from Tommy Castro, bluegrass from Robert Earl Keen and another track from that amazing Wood Brothers album.
The Producers for this episode are listed below. Thanks to all of the show Producers!
Join the Americana Music Show community and you'll be listed as a Producer for the show on every episode produced while your membership is active. You can visit the community activity stream to see what's happening on the community right now.
- Lonely Blue Boy / Webb Wilder / Mississippi Moderne / 3:31
- Sorry You're Sick / Mary Gauthier / Cold and Bitter Tears: The Songs of Ted Hawkins / 3:40
- Mystery Train / Little Junior's Blue Flames / Sam Phillips: The Man Who Invented Rock 'n' Roll [Disc 2] / 2:27
- Snake Eyes / The Wood Brothers / Paradise / 3:31
- Washed-Up Rock Star Factory Blues / Corb Lund / Things That Can't Be Undone / 4:13
- Me or You / Cody Jinks / Adobe Sessions / 4:34
- Got A Lot / Tommy Castro And The Painkillers / Method To My Madness / 3:50
- Carnival Jim & Jean / Peter Cooper / Depot Light: Songs of Eric Taylor / 4:27
- 52 Vincent Black Lightning / Robert Earl Keen / Happy Prisoner: The Bluegrass Sessions / 3:58
- *** Magnolia Collective play tracks from An Old Darkness Falls ***
- The Bird Hunters / Turnpike Troubadours / The Turnpike Troubadours / 5:12
- We're Just Warming Up / Keenan Date / Just Warming Up / 3:50
- Anywhere But Here / The Mastersons / Good Luck Charm / 3:28
- Armageddon Town / Jason Heath & The Greedy Souls / A Season Undone / 4:56
- The Farmer / Cicada Rhythm / Cicada Rhythm / 3:38
- Papa's On The House Top / Dave Alvin & Phil Alvin / Lost Time / 2:50
- Leave A Light On / Dick LeMasters / Gasoline & Fire / 4:10
- Clean Up At Home / The Ragpicker String Band / The Ragpicker String Band / 3:56
- What Do I Know About Anything / Jim Lauderdale / Soul Searching: Vol. 2, Nashville / 3:15
- Echo Park / Chris Laterzo / West Coast Sound / 3:53
- Best I Can Do / Rob Williams / Southern FM / 3:48
- Ahhh Lovey / Nocona / Long Gone Song / 3:25
- Get to Me / Amy Black / The Muscle Shoals Sessions / 2:09
- So Cruel / The Open Secrets / Rain Upon The Sea / 2:14
- Big Mama's Door / Turchi / Can't Bury Your Past / 4:29
About Magnolia Collective
- Magnolia Collective web site.
- Preview An Old Darkness Falls by Magnolia Collective.
- Jockey Full Of Bourbon covered by Magnolia Collective for Couch By Couchwest.
Magnolia Collective interview recap
- Magnolia Collective joins Calvin in the WHUP studios on the second floor of the Dual Supply Hardware building.
- Daniel Snyder from Magnolia Collective runs through the band line up Mimi McLaughlin sings and plays bass. Rich McLaughlin playing lead guitar. Jason Butler on rhythm guitar. Jonathan Truesdale on percussion. Daniel Snyder is lead vocalist.
- Calvin asks Daniel to explain why “bootgazer” has been used to describe the sounds of the Magnolia Collective. He says the term was coined by a journalist. He says shoegazer was a style of psychedelic rock that came out of England in the late 80s. It’s defined by it’s wall of sound ambience. And the kids would stand around and stare at their shoes while they listened to it. He says that because they were all wearing boots and they got into that trippy space. The band liked the term and they adopted it.
- Magnolia Collective plays “Coldest Winter” live in the WHUP studios.
- Calvin asks Magnolia Collective about how they put sounds together. Daniel says they go for the gothic sound with minor chords and lyrical choices. He says they do write songs as a collective although it usually starts with one person bringing in something they wrote.
- Magnolia Collective plays “California” live in the WHUP studios.
- Mimi McLaughlin explains the band’s Couch By Couchwest. She says it’s their favorite festival because the beer is cheaper and the only hipster in the room is you. She says you basically sit on your couch and play a song. This year they decided their entry would be shot in The Cave in Chapel Hill because they didn’t want anyone to see how much dog hair was on their couch. She discusses all the different place they’ve shot Couch By Couchwest videos. They did a cover of Tom Waits “Jockey Full Of Bourbon”
- Magnolia Collective plays “The Devil Is Real” live in the WHUP studio.
Americana Music Show Podcast Info
- Subscribe by email, by iTunes, Stitcher, or by RSS. It’s all free and you won’t miss an episode.
- Visit the episode list to listen to past episodes.
- Send your feedback about the show. I want to hear which songs you liked and which songs you didn't like!
The Americana Music Show is podsafe and copyright 2015 by Taproot Media. The music used on the show was submitted for promotional purposes and is used with permission. This show is free for personal, noncommercial use only. All other rights are reserved. See the notices page for more info.