Short URL for this episode: https://americanamusicshow.com/episode336
About the album:
Me and a couple of fellas got to jamming in my studio one day and we lucked up on the Big Fun Trio. I knew Willy Jordan from when he played percussion on some of my albums, and I liked his singing and rhythm feel. This time he brought a cajón, a South American percussion instrument. It’s a square box you sit on to play it, and he got some amazing sounds out of it—bass drum, snare, anything—and he’s a real strong singer. Bob Welsh is a member of my regular band, an amazing talent. He plays great guitar or piano and can get a tremendous ‘bass’ sound on his guitar.In a trio, there’s no place to hide. You need to be totally into it all the time and you got to have the right guys. The combination of the three of us clicked big time. We went out and played a couple of gigs, and it was really cool to see how the people reacted to the goin’-for-it feel of the music. We decided we better make a CD, so here ‘tis. We enjoyed the hell out of playing this music, and we hope you do the same listening to it.
Songs featured on this episode:
These three tracks from Elvin Bishop's Big Fun Trio album are great examples of the old school Chicago Blues Elvin grew up with.
- "It's You, Baby" by Sunnyland Slim
- "Ace In The Hole" by Elvin Bishop
- "It's All Over Now" by Bobby Womack
The Elvin Bishop Big Fun Trio is:
- Elvin Bishop: Guitar and Vocals
- Willie Jordan: Cajon and Vocals
- Bob Welsh: Guitar and Piano
- Kim Wilson:Harmonica on "It’s You, Baby"
- Rick Estrin: Harmonica on "Delta Lowdown"
- Charlie Musselwhite: Harmonica and Vocals on "100 Years Of Blues”
Americana Music Show Podcast Info
- Subscribe by email, by iTunes, Stitcher, or by RSS. It’s all free and you won’t miss an episode.
- Visit the episode list to listen to past episodes.
- Send your feedback about the show. I want to hear which songs you liked and which songs you didn't like!
The Americana Music Show is podsafe and copyright 2016 by Taproot Media. The music used on the show was submitted for promotional purposes and is used with permission. This show is free for personal, noncommercial use only. All other rights are reserved. See the notices page for more info.