Dale Watson plays tracks from Call Me Insane and drives down I-35 while talking about Lloyd Maines, covering Tony Joe White, and his Jimmy Kimmel gig.
I’ve also got the new album from Jason Isbell and it’s fantastic. I’m also real excited to share with you the Bow Thayer jam band album and the new cajun honky-tonk album from Kevin Sekhani. I’ve also got more tracks from Amy Black, Shiny Ribs, and Eilen Jewell. And finally I’ve got a very old recording of Lead Belly queued up just for you on this two hour episode of the show.
Thanks to all of the Americana Music Show Associate Producers for your support:
For a one-time $2.00 donation to the show, you can get an official Associate Producer credit for this episode of the show. Add it to your resumé! Add it to your IMDB page! I'll vouch for you!
Visit the order form page to get your Associate Producer Credit.
- *** interview with Dale Watson and tracks from Call Me Insane ***
- Hangin' Around (radio edit) / Ike Reilly / Born On Fire / 4:39
- Ordinary / The Roseline / Townie / 3:20
- Midnight in Memphis / Jason Lee McKinney Band / Play Something You Believe Vol. 1 / 3:38
- Day Ain't Done / Kevin Sekhani / Day Ain't Done / 3:30
- She Talks to Me (GPS Song) / John Lilly / Thinking About the Weather / 2:49
- You Gotta Move / Amy Black / The Muscle Shoals Sessions / 3:19
- Burning Miles / Bow Thayer / Sundowser / 5:37
- 24 Frames / Jason Isbell / Something More Than Free / 3:14
- Doing Time in a Rented Room (Again) / The David Motel / People, Places, Things / 3:53
- If It Burns Out Bright / Ocean Carolina / Maudlin Days / 3:20
- Copper Canteen / James McMurtry / Complicated Game / 4:38
- All Damn Day / Left Lane Cruiser / Dirty Spliff Blues / 3:26
- Tether / June Star / Pull Awake / 3:10
- Sweet Lovin' / The Plott Hounds / Living Free / 4:10
- Pennsylvania Station Blues / David Hamburger / Pennsylvania Station Blues / 3:29
- Midnight Highway / Larry Campbell / Larry Campbell & Teresa Williams / 3:45
- You'll Always Live Inside of Me / Dayna Kurtz / Rise And Fall / 4:53
- Donut Taco Palace / Shinyribs / Okra Candy / 2:45
- I’m So Glad, I Done Got Over / Lead Belly / The Smithsonian Folkways Collection [Disc 2] / 1:25
- Pages / Eilen Jewell / Sundown Over Ghost Town / 2:31
- Talk To Me / Sam Lewis / Waiting For You / 4:59
- Breaking Hearts / Grant Langston / Hope You're Happy Now / 3:40
- Nashville / Linda Lou / Nashville (LTD ed. EP) / 5:04
About Dale Watson
Dale Watson interview recap
- Dale Watson says he’s doing the interview by phone as he’s driving down Interstate-35. Calvin asks him why he likes to drive himself when he could afford to hire a bus driver. He says maybe it’s because he’s a “bit of a control freak.”
- Dale talks about his history of truck driving. He says he was in truck driving school when his first album came out. He says “I’m just playing music to support my truckin’ habit!”
- Dale sets up “Day At A Time.” He says we wrote that song a while back when he had “to pick which bill he was going to pay which month.”
- Calvin plays “Day At A Time” from Call Me Insane by Dale Watson.
- Dale tells the story of working with Lloyd Maines on this project. They’ve known each other for a long time and Lloyd was the producer on Call Me Insane.
- On the Ameripolitan music, Dale Watson explains that he coined the term to combine four categories of music that he felt weren’t getting ignored in mainstream country music. The categories are honky-tonk, western swing, rockabilly and outlaw.
- Dale talks about the Ameripolitan Music Awards, The third one will be held in February of 2016. And he talks about some of the winners from the awards last year. .
- Dale sets up “Everybody Is Somebocy In Luchenbach Texas”
- Calvin plays “Everybody Is Somebocy In Luchenbach Texas” from Call Me In Sane by Dale Watson.
- Calvin asks Dale about his recent Big Media appearances including his appearance on the Jimmy Kimmel show. He says it’s like a continuation of a party.
- Dale tells the story of his recent appearance on the Bachelorette
- Dale sets up “Mama’s Don’t Let Your Cowboys Grow Up To Be Babies” He credits Tony Joe White with the song.
- Calvin plays “Mamas Don’t Let Your Cowboys Grow Up To Be Babies” from Call Me Insane by Dale Watson.
- Dale talks about the current tour while he manages his way through a toll both.
Americana Music Show Podcast Info
- Subscribe by email, by iTunes, Stitcher, or by RSS. It’s all free and you won’t miss an episode.
- Visit the episode list to listen to past episodes.
- Send your feedback about the show. I want to hear which songs you liked and which songs you didn't like!
The Americana Music Show is podsafe and copyright 2015 by Taproot Media. The music used on the show was submitted for promotional purposes and is used with permission. This show is free for personal, noncommercial use only. All other rights are reserved. See the notices page for more info.