Beth McKee plays tracks from Sugarcane Revival, tells the stories behind her songs, and talks about “troubling the waters” with her “swamp sistas.”
This episode also features new country music from Kacey Musgraves, soul from Amy Black, rock from the Plott Hounds, ameripolitan music from Dale Watson, blues from the Kentucky Headhunters, folk from Malcolm Holcombe and much more on this special two hour episode of the show.
The Producers for this episode are listed below. Thanks to all of the show Producers!
Thanks to all of the Americana Music Show Associate Producers for your support:
For a one-time $2.00 donation to the show, you can get an official Associate Producer credit for this episode of the show. Add it to your resumé! Add it to your IMDB page! I'll vouch for you!
Visit the order form page to get your Associate Producer Credit.
- Underneath The Moon / Ike Reilly / Born On Fire / 3:34
- Biscuits / Kacey Musgraves / Pageant Material / 3:18
- Shekels and Change / David Hamburger / Pennsylvania Station Blues / 2:52
- Too Hot To Sleep / Eilen Jewell / Live At The Narrows / 2:18
- South Dakota / James McMurtry / Complicated Game / 5:03
- Upsetter / Shinyribs / Okra Candy / 3:12
- Woman on Fire / Amy Black / The Muscle Shoals Sessions / 4:10
- *** interview with Beth McKee and tracks from Sugarcane Revival ***
- Better Go / The Plott Hounds / Living Free / 3:36
- Gloryland / Zombie Garden Club / Zombie Garden Club / 3:44
- Little Things / Ocean Carolina / Maudlin Days / 3:03
- Sway / Hot Texas Swing Band / Ain't Dead Yet / 3:52
- A Day at a Time / Dale Watson / Call Me Insane / 2:43
- New Mexico / Crooks / Wildfire / 3:45
- Sometime / The Kentucky Headhunters With Johnnie Johnson / Meet Me In Bluesland / 3:55
- Cutting Trees / Left Lane Cruiser / Dirty Spliff Blues / 2:43
- Dinah / Gurf Morlix / Eatin' At Me / 3:14
- Down There / Runner Of The Woods / Thirsty Valley / 3:24
- I Want You Bad / Utley3 / While you're down there... / 2:55
- More Than A Love Song / Todd Grebe & Cold Country / Citizen / 3:23
- Driving Your Mama Crazy / The McCrary Sisters / Let's Go / 5:00
- My Ol Radio / Malcolm Holcombe / The RCA Sessions / 2:33
- I Can't Give You Anything But Love (Featuring Kat Edmonson & Ray Benson) / Asleep At The Wheel / Still the King / 3:19
- Hair Of The Dog / Jackie Stahl And The White Russians / Used / 3:57
About Beth McKee
Beth McKee interview recap
-- Beth McKee talks about her recent trip to New Orleans as both a personal trip and playing a gig at Chickie Wah Wah on Canal Street and at WWOZ radio station.
-- Beth McKee discusses how much of the album is autobiographical
-- Beth tells the story of how “Long Road Back” is inspired by a story written by Sherri Phillips and how she came to write the song long road back.
-- Calvin plays “Long Road Back” from Sugarcane Revival by Beth McKee
-- Beth McKee sets up “Nobody Knows Like Me.” She says it’s written from the point of view of feeling like an outsider which everyone feels at one point or another.
-- Calvin plays “Nobody Knows Like Me” from Sugarcane Revival by Beth McKee
-- Beth discusses the things on the album that are most important to her or proud of. She says that she’s most proud of the songwriting. She says it doesn’t matter how well you play or how big the arrangements are, if the song is no good it’s like “polishing a brick of mud.” She says she worked on the songs so that she could fully deliver each song by herself, first. She says she created the foundation on the piano and with her vocals and let everything else support that.
-- Beth McKee sets up “Unravelled”. She says it’s fun because it’s funky and unapologetic.
-- Calvin Plays “Unravelled” from Sugarcane Revival by Beth McKee
-- Beth McKee talks about the creole “La La” and how she has taken that concept into building a huge fan base and she talks about the the “meetups” they have for a cause. She discusses some of the causes her La Las have supported such as fighting hunger with locally grown food.
-- Beth McKee sets up “Trouble The Waters” - She says it’s about getting together and sstanding up and making the world a better place.”
-- Calvin plays “Trouble The Waters” from Sugarcane Revival by Beth McKee.
Americana Music Show Podcast Info
- Subscribe by email, by iTunes, Stitcher, or by RSS. It’s all free and you won’t miss an episode.
- Visit the episode list to listen to past episodes.
- Send your feedback about the show. I want to hear which songs you liked and which songs you didn't like!
The Americana Music Show is podsafe and copyright 2015 by Taproot Media. The music used on the show was submitted for promotional purposes and is used with permission. This show is free for personal, noncommercial use only. All other rights are reserved. See the notices page for more info.