Here are the Americana Music Show adds to rotation for September 8, 2014.
Billy Joe Shaver - Long In The Tooth
One of the tag lines for Billy Joe Shaver's new album, Long In The Tooth, is "It's Hard To Be An Outlaw Who Ain't Wanted Anymore." It makes sense if you think of "wanted" as in "wanted by the law." No one would get arrested anymore for the things the guys and gals in the Outlaw Country movement said and did. In fact it almost seems down-home and cute. But this collection of songs could only come from the soul of a man that never really gave a damn about what other people think. He just makes his music. And if you think it makes him "outlaw" and scandalous, fine. If you think he sounds like someones funny old grampa, well, that's fine too. I like that about him and the music is just as good as it ever was.
I'm adding "Hard To Be An Outlaw," "Sunbeam Special," and "American Me" to rotation.
Preview on Amazon.
- American Me / Billy Joe Shaver / Long In The Tooth / 3:25
- Hard To Be An Outlaw (w/ Willie Nelson) / Billy Joe Shaver / Long In The Tooth / 3:03
- Sunbeam Special / Billy Joe Shaver / Long In The Tooth / 2:31
Felice Brothers - Favorite Waitress
The band line up has changed, but they've still got that relaxed, loose Dylan-esque sound like they always have.
- Bird On Broken Wing / The Felice Brothers / Favorite Waitress / 5:15
- Cherry Licorice / The Felice Brothers / Favorite Waitress / 3:06
- Katie Cruel / The Felice Brothers / Favorite Waitress / 2:37
- Woman Next Door / The Felice Brothers / Favorite Waitress / 3:41
Shelley King - Building A Fire
One of the most upbeat country rock albums I've heard in a long time. Lots of good soul touches too, including some amazing back up singers. Highly recommended. Preview on Amazon.
- Building a Fire / Shelley King / Building a Fire / 3:44
- Grace / Shelley King / Building a Fire / 3:10
- Talkin' Bout the Weather / Shelley King / Building a Fire / 4:09
- I Know I've Been Changed / Shelley King / Building a Fire / 4:42
- The Real Thing / Shelley King / Building a Fire / 3:10
Town Mountain - Live At The Isis
It takes a lot to impress me on a bluegrass album but the guys in Town Mountain deliver with Live At The Isis. The band is tight and very energetic. It will get anyone moving and I appreciate the fact that you can actually hear the lyrics enough to follow along with the song. You don't always get that with bluegrass albums. And most of all, the guys seem like they're having a blast on stage and that counts for a lot. Highly recommended for a live bluegrass vibe.
Preview Live at the Isis by Town Mountain on Amazon.
- Tarheel Boys / Town Mountain / Live At The Isis / 2:10
- Up The Ladder / Town Mountain / Live At The Isis / 2:31
- Lawdog / Town Mountain / Live At The Isis / 5:30
Waylon Speed - Kin
Kin by Waylon Speed is some of the hardest hitting rock & roll I've listened to in a long time. It's got some twang/country rock influences in it. But it could easily find its way on to rotation at a straight up rock & roll station. And that's ok. Sometimes all you want from a rock & roll band is to be the baddest of the bad asses and these guys lay a pretty good claim to that territory. I like a rock band that's brave enough to change up the tempo or key in a song and dive into extended intrumental jams. Because why the hell not.
Preview Kin by Waylon Speed on Amazon
- Reminds Me / Waylon Speed / Kin / 3:23
- Smooth The Gain / Waylon Speed / Kin / 3:40
- Days Remain The Same / Waylon Speed / Kin / 4:52
Ben Glover - Atlantic
Atlantic by Irish singer/songwriter Ben Glover is his latest collection of songs. There are co-writes with top-notch songwriters like Rod Picott and Mary Gauthier. But his solo originals are just as strong as the co-writes. Ben Glover's bio states that he grew up playing johnny Cash and Bob Dylan along side traditional Irish musich, and I think you see that reflected in this collection. The effect is full on Americana but every now and then you hear strains of traditional Irish sounds in the refrains and some of the rhythm guitars.
Preview Atlantic by Ben Glover on Amazon.
- Too Long Gone / Ben Glover / Atlantic / 3:23
- Take And Pay / Ben Glover / Atlantic / 3:59
Philip Claypool - Come On Back Home
Philip Claypool has a good ear for country music. His songs have just the right amount of word play and every man sensibility and Come On Back Home is a great showcase for both his song writing talents and his ear for modern country music. Lots of fun tracks and character studies on this one.
Preview Come On Back Home by Philip Claypool on Amazon.
- Come On Back Home / Philip Claypool / Come On Back Home / 3:05
- Three More Beers / Philip Claypool / Come On Back Home / 3:17
- I'm Gonna Lie / Philip Claypool / Come On Back Home / 3:30
- God You Were Good Last Night / Philip Claypool / Come On Back Home / 3:09
Ruthie Foster - Promise Of A Brand New Day
- Singing the Blues / Ruthie Foster / Promise of a Brand New Day / 3:45
- Let Me Know / Ruthie Foster / Promise of a Brand New Day / 4:04
- My Kinda Lover / Ruthie Foster / Promise of a Brand New Day / 3:29
Additional Adds This Week:
- Old Man and the Kid / Troubadour Tales / Kenny Butterill / 3:14
- The Heart You Break / Turn This Heart Around / Missy Werner / 2:47
- Travelin' Light / Turn This Heart Around / Missy Werner / 2:50
- Rocks In The River / Turn This Heart Around / Missy Werner / 2:32
- Whiskey, Take Me Away / Songs That Make Me Think About You / Bill Wence / 2:54
- Winter Blues / Self Titled / Aaron Newman And The Ok Caravan / 3:07
- Only in America / Self Titled / Aaron Newman And The Ok Caravan / 3:27
- On the Brink / Gravity Well / Rose's Pawn Shop / 4:04
- I've Forgotten More Than You'll Ever Know About Him / Never Let Me Cross Your Mind / Locust Honey String Band / 2:57
- Just One More / Never Let Me Cross Your Mind / Locust Honey String Band / 2:49